[rabbitmq-discuss] Help!

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Mon Nov 22 09:53:05 GMT 2010

Hi Bob,

On 22/11/10 04:42, WANG Chong (Bob) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am wondering is there anybody who can answer my question?
>
> I am using RabbitMQ for the messaging broker in my application, now the
> scenario is a same service may be replicated to many nodes, they need to
> receive the same message in some cases. My proposal is to create many
> queues listening a fan-out exchange, but my boss doubt that this will
> cost too many resources on the messaging server, so he insists not to
> create new queues but same services listening on the same queue, is this
> feasible? Any body who can help?

The normal pattern is to have many consumers listen to a single queue in
cases where the message needs to be picked up by a single consumer. If
the same message needs to be delivered to many consumers then you should
create a queue and a binding for each consumer.

Creating many queues do consume more resources, but it is possible for
commodity hardware to support tens of thousands of queues. If the queues
exceed the resource budget of your server then clustering can help you
to spread the load.

Regards

Emile