[rabbitmq-discuss] consume messages from exchanges

Michael Bridgen mikeb at rabbitmq.com
Tue Nov 16 12:04:51 GMT 2010

Hi Adam,

> Can anybody explain me some variables:
> passive

If passive=true, the server will check only that the named exchange or
queue is present, and raise an error if not.  Note the contrast with
passive=false, for which an error is raised if the exchange or queue
*is* present *but* has different properties.

> exclusive

There's two places "exclusive" is used.

In queue.declare, it restricts the scope of the queue to the connection;
i.e., only the current connection will be able to refer to it.  The one
exception to this is sending to the default exchange, where an exclusive
queue name may be given as the routing key.

In basic.consume, it ensures that the connection is the only consumer
from the given queue.

> nowait

"nowait" means the server should not send a reply to an otherwise
synchronous method, e.g., queue.declare.  It sounds useful, but often
there's important information in server responses (including the
presence of the response).

HTH
Michael