[rabbitmq-discuss] consume messages from exchanges

Marek Majkowski majek04 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 19:25:47 GMT 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 11:43, Adam Kaminiecki <adamka at dgt.com.pl> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have got few questions about consumming practises.
>
> Which is better, create new consumer for each queues and exchanges when
> binding or Can I use 1 consumer?

You can't create 'a consumer for an exchange'.

Except from that, that's pretty common question. It all depends on your
design. Often you can have a single queue with one consumer
and a whole bunch of exchanges and bindings. The other time
it might be better to have a single exchange and many queues.

That's the whole point of AMQP, you can create topology as you need it.
So start with something simple, that you feel comfortable with.

> How can I change consumer name which is displayed when using    rabbimqctl
> -q list_consumers? Is it possible??
> Can I use 1 consumer queue to bind it to more than  1 exchange?

Yes, a queue can have multiple bindings.

BTW, have you seen our tutorials?

https://github.com/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-tutorials/blob/master/python/tutorial-one.md

Cheers,
  Marek