[rabbitmq-discuss] Protection against slow consumers

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Tue Nov 2 08:59:51 GMT 2010

Jiri,

jiri at krutil.com wrote:
>> You can, but they'd have to set the x-message-ttl argument as part of
>> the queue declaration.
>
> Sure, but what if they don't want to cooperate?
>
> It seems to me that AMQP design in general assumes that peers always
> cooperate, which is a bit surprising for a protocol intended for
> communication across enterprises.

One way to get more control over what clients are doing is to insert an
AMQP proxy. Proxies are great for dealing with authentication and
authorisation, load balancing, throttling, etc.

In this specific case you could have a proxy that inspects all
queue.declare commands and either rejects those w/o an appropriate
x-message-ttl or inserts the x-message-ttl on the client's behalf.

Regards,

Matthias.