[rabbitmq-discuss] Increasing base memory.

Gustavo Aquino aquino.gustavo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 14:04:04 GMT 2010

Hi Mattew,

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Matthew Sackman <matthew at lshift.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 09:12:47AM -0300, Gustavo Aquino wrote:
> > I would like to run RabbitMQ using 80Gb of memory, so I'm trying to
> > configure it using the Rabbit guide where told to put simple line in
> > rabbitmq.conf, ok I open my rabbitmq.conf and put this line and just
> > changing 0.4 to 0.8 but it doesn't work, when I start Rabbit it don't
> > recognize configuration.
>
> The 0.4 is a scaling of the RAM that Rabbit detects in your machine.
> Furthermore, as the documentation says, it is *not* a limit for how much
> RAM rabbit will use. As I pointed out in my other email, Erlang is a
> GC'd language. The 0.4 simply says that channel.flow will be invoked
> once 0.4 of available RAM has been used by Rabbit. This does not
> preclude Rabbit from using more than 0.4 - the GC events may cause up to
> twice this to be used. In addition, it is beneficial to allow your OS to
> have some RAM available for disk caches, thus allowing it to be able to
> satisfy reads without having to go to disk.

Ok, I'm trying this approach to found a solutions to solve a problem that I
reported here that RabbitMQ crash when my queue size take a big volume,
always time that queue size have ~700.000/200Bytes messages Rabbit simple
crash and don't write any log. This is my big concerns once we don't have a
good way to monitoring queue size (i.e messages buffers and etc)

> > rabbitmq.conf
> >
> > [{rabbit, [{vm_memory_high_watermark, 0.8}]}].
> > NODENAME=rabbit at Nefertiti
>
> The first line should be placed in rabbitmq.config. The second line is
> valid for rabbitmq.conf. Note they are two very different files.
> rabbitmq.config is an Erlang term file. rabbitmq.conf is sourced by the
> various shell scripts thus is a location to configure shell variables.

Ohhh thanks... so we have two different config files.. well thanks I really
thought that this configurations live inside the same file. Know rabbit run
ok.