[rabbitmq-discuss] Ordering of messages from a fanout exchange

Matthew Sackman matthew at lshift.net
Tue Mar 16 10:36:30 GMT 2010

Hi James,

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 06:55:13PM -0700, James Pettit wrote:
> Is it possible to have a fanout exchange ensure that it routes messages to
> each queue bound to it in the same order? For example, if Message A and
> Message B are sent to Queue 1 in the order A < B, they will be sent to Queue
> 2 (and all others) in the order A < B? I have a specific example where two
> consumers are getting the correct messages, but in a different order.

If A and B come from the same channel then yes, their order will be
preserved. If they come from different channels then all bets are off,
and there is no knob to turn here - this is just the nature of AMQP I'm
afraid. If you can give us some more details about the type of problem
you're trying to solve we may be able to suggest some solutions.

Matthew