[rabbitmq-discuss] can I do a rabbitmq message pool?

David Wragg david at rabbitmq.com
Wed Jun 30 17:52:19 BST 2010

Hi Ovidiu,

Ovidiu Deac <ovidiudeac at gmail.com> writes:
> [...]
> Is it possible to retrieve a message from a queue based on an id? I
> would need more like a pool then a queue.

Rabbit only supports obtaining messages from the head of a queue
(whether by consuming or by basic.get).  There is currently no way to
query or browse the messages within a queue.

> I could do that in code but I want my message to be safe in case of a
> crash so I would like to make use of the message persistence.

People normally use databases in your situation.  NoSQL key-value
databases work nicely here, because you can just store the message body
under the relevant ID without worrying about schemas.  But relational
DBs will work too.

David Wragg
Staff Engineer, RabbitMQ
SpringSource, a division of VMware