[rabbitmq-discuss] STOMP plugin problems (was: Claim on new ocamlmq broker...)

Marek Majkowski majek04 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 13:40:53 BST 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 15:16, Steven Davidson
<steven.davidson at physics.org> wrote:
> on ubuntu 10.04 LTS, the tests pass and I can use Orbited's handy STOMP test
> demo to verify everything is working from outside the server (connections
> passing through nginx to Orbited).

Great.

> I have also installed the ubuntu package via apt-get which according to the
> startup log is v1.7.2. However, I can't seem to install the stomp plugin
> into this installation: I copy the .ez file into a plugins directory, run
> rabbitmq-activate-plugins and start (or restart) rabbit. I get
[...]
> I've tried hg up-ping rabbitmq-server and codegen to the 1_7_2 tag (the
> other repositories don't have this tag), rebuilding and installing the
> resulting plugin but no luck so far.
> So my first question is: am I missing some step that would make this work?

You're doing everything correctly. Recent versions of stomp do not work
with old 1.7.2 rabbitmq-server. The simplest solution would be to run
rabbitmq from sources. Alternatively you can try to upgrade to 1.8
and a freshly compiled stomp plugin has high chances to work.

> (or alternatively are the plugins precompiled somewhere for different
> releases of the broker?)

We do not ship precompiled plugins.

> I decided some 6 months or more ago that STOMP was the way to go for my
> problem (then parked the problem ;-), but lately I've seen some posts about
> the rabbitmq-jsonrpc-channel that have me second-guessing myself.
> I'm looking to provide a queue per client (typically connecting over
> HTTP using a long polling technique) for the delivery of text based messages
> (100% reliability not required). STOMP support is not a requirement for me
> so I'm wondering if I should investigate
> the rabbitmq-jsonrpc-channel approach and thus eliminate the Orbited
> component completely: any thoughts on this? And is
> the rabbitmq-jsonrpc-channel plugin more loved/robust/stable ;-) ?

We, the computer geeks, often just can't love strongly enough. Our feelings
are changing too rapidly. So, unfortunately jsonrpc-channel is another
widowed project.

But, please, feel free to play with jsonrpc-channel and share your experiences!

Cheers!
  Marek Majkowski