[rabbitmq-discuss] STOMP plugin problems (was: Claim on new ocamlmq broker...)

Steven Davidson steven.davidson at physics.org
Mon Jun 21 15:16:22 BST 2010

Hello all,

> > - our STOMP adapter was written by TonyG and is largely unloved.
>
> I dunno, I love it a little :-)

Glad to hear it! I'm having problems with the stomp adaptor, plugin
installation and mercurial tags, I think. (But I'm new to erlang as well as
the above!)

If I do this:

hg clone http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-public-umbrella
cd rabbitmq-public-umbrella/
make co
make
cd rabbitmq-stomp/
make cover
cd ../rabbitmq-server/
mkdir plugins
cd plugins/
ln -s ../../rabbitmq-stomp/
ln -s ../../rabbitmq-erlang-client/
cd ..
./scripts/rabbitmq-activate-plugins
make cleandb run

on ubuntu 10.04 LTS, the tests pass and I can use Orbited's handy STOMP test
demo to verify everything is working from outside the server (connections
passing through nginx to Orbited).

I have also installed the ubuntu package via apt-get which according to the
startup log is v1.7.2. However, I can't seem to install the stomp plugin
into this installation: I copy the .ez file into a plugins directory, run
rabbitmq-activate-plugins and start (or restart) rabbit. I get
> broker running
> starting STOMP Adapter (binding to [{"127.0.0.1",61613}])  ...done
in the startup_log which looks good

But then the STOMP test produces this error from rabbitmq:
=INFO REPORT==== 21-Jun-2010::13:24:48 ===
starting STOMP connection <0.176.0> from 127.0.0.1:59714

=ERROR REPORT==== 21-Jun-2010::13:24:48 ===
STOMP error frame sent:
Message: "Processing error"
Detail: "Processing error\n"
Server private detail:
{undef,[{rabbit_reader_queue_collector,start_link,[]},
                               {rabbit_stomp_server,do_login,4},
                               {rabbit_stomp_server,process_frame,3},

{rabbit_stomp_server,process_received_bytes,2},
                               {rabbit_stomp_server,init,1},
                               {proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3}]}

=INFO REPORT==== 21-Jun-2010::13:24:48 ===
ending STOMP connection <0.176.0> from 127.0.0.1:59714

I've tried hg up-ping rabbitmq-server and codegen to the 1_7_2 tag (the
other repositories don't have this tag), rebuilding and installing the
resulting plugin but no luck so far.

So my first question is: am I missing some step that would make this work?
(or alternatively are the plugins precompiled somewhere for different
releases of the broker?)

I decided some 6 months or more ago that STOMP was the way to go for my
problem (then parked the problem ;-), but lately I've seen some posts about
the rabbitmq-jsonrpc-channel that have me second-guessing myself.

I'm looking to provide a queue per client (typically connecting over
HTTP using a long polling technique) for the delivery of text based messages
(100% reliability not required). STOMP support is not a requirement for me
so I'm wondering if I should investigate
the rabbitmq-jsonrpc-channel approach and thus eliminate the Orbited
component completely: any thoughts on this? And is
the rabbitmq-jsonrpc-channel plugin more loved/robust/stable ;-) ?

Thanks,
Steven.