[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Consumes Very Slow

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Wed Jun 2 14:01:09 BST 2010

Hi Bradford,

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 04:58:32PM -0700, Bradford Stephens wrote:
> Holy crap, that worked.
> Went from about 3 msgs/sec to ~20,000 msgs/sec. I can live with that :)

Good to hear - yeah in a straight line I've seen up to about 30kHz with
noAck turned on, but obviously on a sufficiently parallel machine with
multiple queues, higher overall throughput is possible.

> You should take that basicGet out of the "Getting Started" guide, it's
> dangerous :P I assumed that the QueueingConsumer was for
> continuously-running processes only and did high-throughput
> synchronous stuff. Guess I shoulda read the code more.

Hmm, I wasn't aware basic.get was quite /that/ slow, but it's possible.
The reason it's in the Getting Started guide is that it is, at least
conceptually, the simplest way of getting a message out of a queue - the
learning curve would be a bit steeper if we immediately started
introducing consume and asynchronous delivery.

> You rock, I've never had a problem solved by a community so fast :)

Glad to help :) - it's always nice when people take the time to ask us
questions if they're having any problems and refrain from hitting the
ranty-blog button too fast!

Matthew