[rabbitmq-discuss] compiling rabbitmq-c under mingw

David Wragg david at rabbitmq.com
Sat Jul 24 00:19:43 BST 2010

Hi Jim,

Jim Irrer <irrer at umich.edu> writes:
> The advice made no explicit mention of a URL to download and I
> got the main (wrong) branch of the code.  It had no windows
> subdirectory under librabbitmq.

Sorry if my advice was unclear.  As we only distribute rabbitmq-c
through Mercurial, I was assuming you'd be able to find the branch
without too much trouble.

> That was a lot of pain for nothing.
>
> FYI:
>
> After more searching of the web site I just now downloaded
> http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-c/archive/22cb3bbbca10.tar.gz
> which had no configure file as mentioned in the README.windows.
>
> Running autoreconf -i yields:
>
> configure.ac:13: error: Autoconf version 2.58 or higher is required
> aclocal.m4:1250: LT_INIT is expanded from...
> aclocal.m4:1254: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL is expanded from...
> configure.ac:13: the top level
> autom4te: /bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
> configure.ac:13: error: Autoconf version 2.58 or higher is required
> aclocal.m4:1250: LT_INIT is expanded from...
> aclocal.m4:1254: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL is expanded from...
> configure.ac:13: the top level
> autom4te: /bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
> autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
>
> and it fails to make a configure file.
>
> My mingw autoconf is at version 2.56 and I don't know how to upgrade it.
> I just downloaded and installed mingw a few weeks ago and this is the
> version that
> was there.

Fair point.  When I wrote that README.windows, I was really thinking in
terms of a source distribution tarball, in which the configure file
would already be made.  I'm not sure I've tried autoconf under mingw.
But now that you've pointed this out, I'll see if I can get it working.

The mingw distribution method tends to be a bit chaotic, which is why I
wrote the install-mingw.sh script to install the correct versions of the
other tools required to build.

David

--
David Wragg