[rabbitmq-discuss] Sending large files to a queue

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Mon Jul 19 12:18:18 BST 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 04:14:26AM -0700, cbourne wrote:
> I found a reference to a file stream class in the rabbit FAQ's. Has anybody
> actually used this for sending large files to a queue before? The FAQ seems
> to imply that it works by persisting the data to a disk based storage area.

It's unimplemented - there were several such classes in the 0.8 spec
which were bizarre and not obviously different from the basic class. We
did not implement them, and they were removed in 0.9.1 spec. If you have
really big files that you need to pass around then I'd suggest placing
them somewhere else (pretty much anything will do here - NFS even!), and
then passing pointers (URLs, Paths etc) as the message in Rabbit.

Matthew