[rabbitmq-discuss] Queue delete causes transaction errors

Michael Bridgen mikeb at rabbitmq.com
Wed Jul 14 16:31:12 BST 2010

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the follow-up.

> It didn't occur to me that the failure could have arisen after the
> routing but during the consumption stage of my passive listener.  I
> don't think that's the case, but here's what the broker reported which
> I intended to include in my first email:
>
>   class_id: 90
>   method_id: 20
>   reply_code: 541
>   reply_text: "INTERNAL_ERROR - commit failed:
> [{<0.25498.0>,{exit,{queue_disappeared,<0.25498.0>},[{rabbit_amqqueue,'-commit_all/3-fun-0-',1},{delegate,safe_invoke,2},{delegate,'-safe_invoke/2-lc$^0/1-0-',2},{delegate,'-safe_invoke/2-lc$^0/1-0-',2},{delegate,delegat..."

Right, yes it looks like the queue has disappeared in-between routing
the message and committing the transaction.

I'm puzzled about why this would happen when you are not deleting the
queue, though.  Are you declaring the queues as exclusive?  That would
delete them with the connection.

(The proposed "new" semantics for transactions would obviate the
queue-going-away problem, by the way)

>>> I see that 0.9.1 of the spec adds queue.unbind().  Is that the only
>>> way to avoid this problem, or is there another approach that we can
>>> take?
>> I don't see how queue.unbind would help -- would you explain?
>
> I imagine that I could unbind my listener's queue, wait for a bit,
> then safely delete the queue and the broker would no longer be trying
> to route to it.

There would still be a race between the delete and the transaction
committing, unless those are co-ordinated somehow (which I wouldn't have
thought).  I.e., if you publish then commit in one process, and unbind
then delete in another other process, the publish and commit could still
fall either side of the unbind and delete.

Michael