[rabbitmq-discuss] MulticastMain Java client causes Erlang error eheap_alloc: Cannot allocate 467078560 bytes of memory (of type "heap") (with RabbitMQ 1.7.1)

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Tue Jan 26 18:11:37 GMT 2010

John,

John Apps wrote:
> Here you go:
> =INFO REPORT==== 26-Jan-2010::17:56:57 ===
> Memory limit set to 817MB.
> [...]
> The above log is from a run with 0.2 memory on a 4GB machine running
> Windows 7 X64. This is the first time I have seen the messages about
> memory high watermark.

Did RabbitMQ actually crash on that run? It looks perfectly happy.

> The following log is from a run with memory set to 0.3:
> =INFO REPORT==== 26-Jan-2010::18:15:09 ===
> Memory limit set to 1225MB.
> [...]
> INFO REPORT==== 26-Jan-2010::18:15:13 ===
> starting TCP connection <0.149.0> from 127.0.0.1:40342

Ditto.

Do you have a complete rabbit.log file from a run that
a) had the memory threshold set to no higher than the default 0.4, and
b) crashed the RabbitMQ server
?

> <http://127.0.0.1:40342>
>
> Last test was to run with 0.1 memory. This did not get very far and is
> now hanging. The client managed only a few exchanges:

That's exactly what is supposed to happen. Rabbit has told the producer
to stop sending messages since it is under memory pressure. Once memory
becomes available again, e.g. when a consumer consumes enough messages,
or some queues get deleted/purged, or as a result of internal garbage
collection, Rabbit will tell the producer that it may resume.

Regards,

Matthias.