[rabbitmq-discuss] Handling Channel.Flow method

Chris Duncan celldee at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 12:21:08 GMT 2010

I've been wanting to incorporate Channel.Flow method handling into the Bunny
Ruby client library for a while. It's needed, but I want to do it in a
simple, efficient way. I want to be able to give a client application the
option to stop sending messages as soon as possible after receiving a
Channel.Flow method (with :active => false) and that means that I need to
know whether a Basic.Publish succeeds as well as whether it fails.

At the moment there is the potential for a client application to keep firing
messages at the server whilst being oblivious to the fact that the server is
telling it to stop. If the client application is just writing and not
reading, purely a publisher of messages, then there has to be an efficient
way of notifying the client that a publish has succeeded. As far as I can
see, the simplest way to do that is with a publish-ok.

Transactions may give me what I want but I don't think that I should be
enforcing the use of transactions in my client library just so that it will
handle Channel.Flow methods properly.

Regards,

Chris