[rabbitmq-discuss] starting rabbitmq server as a regular user

Matthew Sackman matthew at lshift.net
Mon Feb 15 11:37:23 GMT 2010

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 10:08:58PM +0200, Roman Yakovenko wrote:
> I am developing client for RabbitMQ. Actually I am wrapping an
> existing one. For testing purpose, I would like to start/stop server
> as a regular user.
>
> Is it possible to achieve this?

Yes. We internally develop Rabbit as normal users. Rabbit needs no
special permissions at all to run. All it needs is to be able to write
to its logs and mnesia and various other files. Due to tradition, under
most sensible platforms, this is installed as the "rabbitmq" user, which
is a perfectly normal (albeit daemon) user. However, if you're building
from source, then a make run from the rabbitmq-server directory will
suffice to start Rabbit up as yourself. You may or may not consider that
a security risk - up to you!

Matthew