[rabbitmq-discuss] Monitoring Message Throughput

Garrett Smith g at rre.tt
Sat Feb 6 22:54:37 GMT 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Matthias Radestock <matthias at lshift.net> wrote:
> Nico,
>
> Nico Meyer wrote:
>> are there any good solutions to monitor the message throughput of
>> RabbitMQ? Preferably broken down by queues. I have quickly checked the
>> monitoring solutions on the webpage, but none seem to have that feature.
>> Also there is probably not enough data exported by RabbitMQ to do this.

-snip-

> - are you interested in message counts, i.e. messages per second, or
> data volumes, i.e. octets per second?
> - over what period of time should the figures be averaged?
> - do the stats of a durable queue need to survive a broker restart?
> - do the stats still need to be accessible after a queue has been deleted?
> - what stats other than per-queue throughputs would you like to see?

I don't have an immediate need for "throughput" stats, but I wanted to
relay my experience in monitoring MySQL, which relies almost
exclusively on counters to provide performance metrics.

IMO, this is a good approach as it's generally cheap to implement and
provides a lot of flexibility.

A single dets or Mnesia table could be used to store counter, which
you'd typically want to survive a restart.

Monitor tools like rrdtool can typically generate rate stats using
counters and can compensate for counter reset.

I personally would rather rabbitmq keep things as simple as possible
internally and defer the cost of aggregation, summary, etc. to
external tools.

Garrett