[rabbitmq-discuss] Fwd: Client-connection failover workarounds (ruby)

Peter Fitzgibbons peter.fitzgibbons at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 12:21:24 GMT 2010

Hello All,

I'm thinking about how to handle client-connection failover.  By this
I mean clientA has a producerP that needs to have reliable and
tolerant connections to rabbitA and rabbitB.  This is so that if the
connection/pid of rabbitA goes down, producerP sends it's next message
to rabbitB with as little handling (and wall-clock time) as possible.

I have read many of the threads around durable queue, the howto, the
'pedantics', etc.  I am trying to see how I can answer a network-
failover requirement with RabbitMQ.

The best solution I can think of right now is to have a rabbitP on the
same machine as producerP, which is clustered to the "real" cluster,
so if rabbitA goes down, the built-in clustering failover will handle
the proper interaction.  My issue with this is considering how this is
configured and maintained when the farm of servers with producerP gets
to be 1000+.  Even if this doesn't scale to the google-farm level,
what about farm = 10, 30 ?

Any thoughts on this would be very appreciated.

Peter Fitzgibbons