[rabbitmq-discuss] Poor performance using a single RabbitMQ connection on high-latency networks

Matthew Sackman matthew at lshift.net
Mon Feb 1 13:33:16 GMT 2010

Thanks for forwarding that to the list, Holger.

Vladimir, we have sometimes seen very strange things with Windows and
some firewall products doing deep inspection on traffic that's going to
the internet at large - XML based content often triggers this. Could you
make sure all firewalls are off, or try using SSL?

You don't state which client you're using. If you can cut the code down
to a small example which demonstrates this problem we can certainly take
a look at that.

We know of several clients who are publishing to Rabbit at high speed
over a WAN - there is nothing inherently tricky here.

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 02:23:37PM +0100, Holger Hoffstaette wrote:
> Also we have created a simple client-server application which simply
> writes data to stream and measure performance: we have seen throughput
> is about 350 kB/s (it is about 40% of network usage, what is a pretty
> good for us, because we can use three or four connections on this
> network to arrive at least 90% of network usage). We don't understand
> why RabbitMQ have poor performance using single TCP connection on our case.

I have a suspicion this is a firewall issue - with your simple
streaming, do I assume the data is all nulls, or random? And with your
Rabbit tests, is the data XML?

Matthew