[rabbitmq-discuss] Retrieving the queue content with other clients waiting for messages

dmitry.mishin dmitry.mishin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 23:06:18 GMT 2010

Hello all,

I'm trying to make an application sending jobs to the queue and
consumers getting jobs from it and processing them.

I also need a UI showing the status of each job: have it been only
submitted, is currently executing or finished.

Can I avoid storing this information outside the rabbitmq?

My idea is to have 3 queues: submited, executing and completed.

The application sends a job to submited queue. The workers wait for
new jobs to appear and move the job from submited to executing queue,
then after processing moves a job from executing to completed.

The worker will have to cycle through all the jobs in a queue and ack
the proper one. Also to get a status of a job, I could cycle for all
the jobs in Submited, Executing and Finished and remember where I
found the needed one.

The problem I'm having now is when there are consumers listening to a
new job, I can't connect another consumer to this queue and make a
basicRecover from it. It receives nothing.

Is there an easier way of doing it? Or do I have to use a database and
store the job state in it, updating when there are changes to the job
state?

Thank you