[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ and queue message limits?

Christian Legnitto clegnitto at mozilla.com
Tue Aug 31 22:16:11 BST 2010

My main issue is I intend to have hundreds of queues with 100k+ messages that may or may not be processed in a timely manner. Memory is ok with the new persister (yay!), but the disk fills up quickly. Right now with only 1 consumer, if I don't ack messages coming from bugzilla for 2 days I use up 20GB of disk. I can of course throw hardware at the problem, but it seems I'd reach a point where it merely wouldn't scale. I don't think it is unreasonable to tell consumers that all messages up to a point will be persisted, but once a threshold is reached only x amount of messages will persist. I see other brokers support such a thing, though it sounds like RabbitMQ likely does not.

Thanks,
Christian