[rabbitmq-discuss] default queue for unroutable messages

Alexandru Scvorţov alexandru at rabbitmq.com
Tue Aug 31 12:29:39 BST 2010

Hi Ovidiu,

> I would like to tell RabbitMQ to put all the unroutable messages that
> were sent to an exchange in a "default" queue.

It can't be done automatically.

You could do it like this:
  - set the mandatory and immediate flags on all messages;
  - the unroutable ones will be basic.return'd;
  - have the client re-publish every basic.return'd message so that it
    gets to your dead-letter queue.

The mandatory flag causes a basic.return if the message wasn't routed to
a queue.

The immediate flag causes a basic.return if the message got to some
queues but there were no consumers waiting for it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Alex