[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Webhooks plugin on Github

Jon Brisbin jon at jbrisbin.com
Thu Aug 26 22:52:27 BST 2010

On Aug 26, 2010, at 4:44 PM, Matthias Radestock wrote:

> Jon,
>
> Jon Brisbin wrote:
>> I just pushed the first alpha of a webhooks plugin for RabbitMQ to Github:
>> http://github.com/jbrisbin/rabbitmq-webhooks
>
> Congrats on writing the first community plugin for RabbitMQ 2.0!
>
> And it's looking pretty good too.
>
> Btw, this intrinsically doesn't need to be a plug-in, since all its interactions with the broker are over AMQP. So you could make it a standalone app. The same is true of several other existing plug-ins, including the shovel.
>
> Embedding in the broker has its advantages of course. One less piece of software to start/stop/manage, easy to deploy, better performance. The downside is that if it dies it could take out the broker.

I really debated about this. But one of the problems I'm trying to solve is to not have to have any other service to manage.

I see this more as an extension of the broker than a standalone app, too.

But I do worry about killing the broker... :/ So far, errors making HTTP requests have resulted in terminating the gen_server, which is respawned by the supervisor. If there's a configuration error or somesuch (or syntax error in my code, as an example), it causes the broker to start, then stop immediately without always giving a clear idea of where the error is. I end up going back to putting log statements in every other line. :) Old school debugging...

Thanks!

J. Brisbin
http://jbrisbin.com/