[rabbitmq-discuss] erlide

Jon Brisbin jon at jbrisbin.com
Wed Aug 25 13:12:28 BST 2010

I looked at ErlyBird, but the latest NetBeans it supports is 6.7 and the last download was updated last year. erlide has a few nice features but doesn't really work for a real project, so I gave that up. I always have the latest Aquamacs Emacs on my machine for nostalgia, if for no other reason (it was my first programming environment :), so I used the erlang mode. I don't like the way it does formatting and speedbar is less than impressive as a project browser, so I feel the most at home in TextMate with a checkout of the Erlang.tmbundle from the textmate svn repo, which has a few template helpers in it and other niceties.

I liked the continuous building of code with erlide and netbeans. It's actually quite helpful. But there's just too many other environmental things they seem to ignore that make building an actual project (a nitrogen-based webapp or a rabbit plugin, for example...I prefer not to have -include_lib's showing red all the time) difficult or impossible.

Realistically, having to build from the command line after changes doesn't really slow you down all that much. I guess the flexibility compensates for that.

jb

On Aug 25, 2010, at 4:13 AM, Vlad Alexandru Ionescu wrote:

> FWIW, Erlide is broken with the latest version of Eclipse. The developer promised to fix that soon, but it's been more than a month since then.
>
> I've found Netbeans's Erlybird to do a reasonable job (just as an editor). But the latest version of the plugin doesn't work with the latest version of Netbeans. I think I'm using version 0.17.0.
>
> I'm the only one in the office not using Emacs :) .
>
> Vlad.
>

> On 08/24/2010 10:47 PM, Jon Brisbin wrote:
>>
>> Anyone using erlide for rabbitmq development or is Emacs still king? ;)
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> J. Brisbin
>> http://jbrisbin.com/

Thanks!