[rabbitmq-discuss] Modifying a message in the queue

Alexis Richardson alexis at rabbitmq.com
Wed Aug 11 20:38:04 BST 2010

Archana

Unfortunately it is not possible to do that without removing a message
from the queue, and then republishing it.

The reason for this, as Andreas hints, is that 'update in place' is a
database type operation.  It's tempting to think of messaging as being
about the manipulation of resources using, among other things,
idempotent operations on data that has a persistent identity (eg
primary key).  But, we think messaging is much more about managing
'streams' or if you prefer, 'flows' of data, where managing timelike
behaviour is an implicit concern.

Attempts have been made to reconcile these views but it's *hard* to do
so in a way that preserves decent performance and scalability.  In
some ways the new breed of 'nosql' stores are attempts to do so, by
imposing less structure on stored data so that it can be viewed in a
'streamlike' or at least 'spacelike' way.  See Redis queues for
example.

As Andreas suggests, spelling out your use case would help members of
the list to suggest a way forward for you.

I hope this helps.

alexis