[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq-c or librabbitmq (it seems to have2 names)

Pieter de Zwart pdezwart at rubiconproject.com
Wed Aug 4 18:45:13 BST 2010

Ive said this before, but I will say it again:

+1 for official C library support. I would love to see this get done, and
obviously the sooner the better because I keep on having to tweak the PHP
extension all the time, and its getting old.
I mean, seriously, what do we pay you all this good money fo--

Oh. =)

Pieter

On 8/4/10 7:11 AM, "David Wragg" <david at rabbitmq.com> wrote:

> John Apps <johndapps at gmail.com> writes:
>> > (I fear some of the following has already been asked or noted, so please
>> > bear with me if it has!)
>
> Responding to the "rabbitmq-c or librabbitmq" question: rabbitmq-c is
> the name of its source code repository, following our convention for
> other components of the RabbitMQ suite.  librabbitmq is the resulting
> library you can build from that source code, following the Unix
> convention for library names.  As well as the library, rabbitmq-c
> includes some example code and command-line tools based on librabbitmq.
>
>> >    - rabbitmq-c or librabbitmq is termed experimental, which begs this
>> >    obvious question: what does this mean?
>
> It means that, although we are developing and maintaining it, it has not
> yet received the degree of review that our officially supported client
> libraries have (the Java and .NET ones).  So for instance, in the
> process of such a review we might decide that significant changes are
> required to the API exposed by the library.  We'd also like to see full
> Windows support, so that it can be used on the same platforms as the
> broker.
>
> The "experimental" label is not a comment on its quality.  It is robust,
> and many people are already using it.  Judged by the general standard of
> AMQP client libraries out there, for all languages, it's in good shape.
>
>> >    - Does the library support all the 0.9.1 requirements?
>
> There is a 0-9-1 branch, that seems in good shape to be merged soon.  We
> haven't done a careful conformance-checking pass against the spec, but
> it seems unlikely that there are major areas of non-conformance.
>
>> >    - Does it support all RabbitMQ 1.8.1 functionality, e.g., flow
>> >    control?
>
> It doesn't yet support flow control.
>
>> >    - Another way of putting it might be: is it as function-rich as the .NET
>> >    or Java libraries?
>
> Not quite.  As noted, flow control is missing.  It's also missing a few
> less commonly used AMQP operations in its API (e.g. basic_reject,
> basic_recover), though adding these would be trivial.
>
>> >    - Is it, or will it be, supported?
>> >
>> > The reason for asking is that we have a number of prospective clients who
>> > would benefit from using AMQP in general and RabbitMQ in particular.
>> > However, none of them have Erlang, none of them use Java or .NET, but all
>> of
>> > them have C/C++ or other high-level language code such as COBOL. If we are
>> > to work with these clients we will need something a bit more reassuring
>> than
>> > 'experimental'...
>
> We have also heard quite a bit of interest in librabbitmq from the kinds
> of users who would appreciate the reassurance that declaring it
> "officially supported" would bring.  So it is very likely that it will
> become supported.  But we cannot yet commit to a time scale for when
> that will happen.
>
> David

> [...]

the rubicon project

PIETER DE ZWART | INTERFACES TEAM, LEAD ENGINEER
€€€ P 310 207 0272 | x224
€€€ F 323 466 7119

1925 S. BUNDY  DRIVE
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA 90025

WWW.RUBICONPROJECT.COM <http://www.rubiconproject.com/>

³COMPANY OF THE YEAR² ALWAYSON ONMEDIA 2009
#24 ON FAST COMPANY FAST 50 READER FAVORITES
2008  ALWAYSON 250 GLOBAL WINNER
2008 ALWAYSON ONMEDIA 100 WINNER
TWIISTUP3  BEST IN SHOW
PRICEWATERHOUSECOOPERS ­ ENTRETECH  BEST STARTUP
AMERICAN BUSINESS AWARDS - STEVIES  Œ08 FINALIST BEST NEW COMPANY
AMERICAN BUSINESS  AWARDS - STEVIES Œ08 FINALIST MOST INNOVATIVE COMPANY
AMERICAN BUSINESS  AWARDS - STEVIES Œ08 FINALIST NEW PRODUCT OR SERVICE -
SERVICES

P          Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail