[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmqctl not reporting anything

Greg Turnquist gturnquist at vmware.com
Tue Aug 3 20:29:02 BST 2010

I loaded rabbitmq 1.8.0. When I fire up rabbitmq-server, I see the following:
+---+   +---+
|   |   |   |
|   |   |   |
|   |   |   |
|   +---+   +-------+
|                   |
| RabbitMQ  +---+   |
|           |   |   |
|   v1.8.1  +---+   |
|                   |
+-------------------+
AMQP 8-0
Copyright (C) 2007-2010 LShift Ltd., Cohesive Financial Technologies LLC., and Rabbit Technologies Ltd.
Licensed under the MPL.  See http://www.rabbitmq.com/

node           : rabbit at gturnquist-mbp
app descriptor : /opt/local/lib/rabbitmq/bin/../lib/rabbitmq_server-1.8.1/sbin/../ebin/rabbit.app
home dir       : /opt/local/var/lib/rabbitmq
cookie hash    : WsSCWeum/oLXE3iNW2zauw==
log            : /opt/local/var/log/rabbitmq/rabbit at gturnquist-mbp.log
sasl log       : /opt/local/var/log/rabbitmq/rabbit at gturnquist-mbp-sasl.log
database dir   : /opt/local/var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/rabbit at gturnquist-mbp
erlang version : 5.8

starting file handle cache server                                     ...done
starting worker pool                                                  ...done
starting database                                                     ...done
starting codec correctness check                                      ...done
-- external infrastructure ready
starting exchange type registry                                       ...done
starting exchange type topic                                          ...done
starting exchange type headers                                        ...done
starting exchange type fanout                                         ...done
starting exchange type direct                                         ...done
starting internal event notification system                           ...done
starting logging server                                               ...done
-- kernel ready
starting alarm handler                                                ...done
starting node monitor                                                 ...done
starting cluster delegate                                             ...done
starting guid generator                                               ...done
starting memory monitor                                               ...done
-- core initialized
starting empty DB check                                               ...done
starting exchange recovery                                            ...done
starting queue supervisor and queue recovery                          ...done
-- message delivery logic ready
starting error log relay                                              ...done
starting networking                                                   ...done
-- network listeners available

broker running

rabbitmqctl tries to access the same node name:

gturnquist-mbp:~ gturnquist$ sudo rabbitmqctl list_exchanges
Listing exchanges ...
Error: unable to connect to node 'rabbit at gturnquist-mbp': nodedown
diagnostics:
- unable to connect to epmd on gturnquist-mbp: address
- current node: 'rabbitmqctl50582 at gturnquist-mbp'
- current node home dir: /opt/local/var/lib/rabbitmq
- current node cookie hash: WsSCWeum/oLXE3iNW2zauw==

I don't know where it decided to call the node rabbit at gturnquist-mbp. It is the local hostname, but I usually use gturnquist-mbp.local to reference my local LAN IP address. I don't see how to override this setting from either the server or the ctl script. It seems like an issue, because I thought doing all this on the same node would be out-of-the-box functionality.

--
Greg Turnquist (greg.turnquist at springsource.com)
Senior Software Engineer