[rabbitmq-discuss] adding consumers to existing queue

Robert Grey rgrey at openinit.com
Mon Aug 2 04:08:21 BST 2010

I apologize if this question has been answered, I've searched the mailing lists and google for a couple of days.

I'm using Python and py-amqplib to connect to a durable, non-auto-delete queue. The consuming clients take a while to process message (~ 2 or 3 minutes) and I would like to increase and decrease clients dynamically to respond to load. Unfortunately, it appears a currently connected client blocks or holds all the messages that were added before new clients connect. Is this correct behavior? Or is there some kind of setting I am missing?

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Robert Grey