[rabbitmq-discuss] Question About Bindings

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Fri Apr 23 07:44:17 BST 2010

Alvaro,

Tony Garnock-Jones wrote:
> Alvaro Videla wrote:
>> What are those anonymous exchanges?, like the one from the list head?
>
> It's the binding to the AMQP "default exchange". Every queue is
> automatically given a binding to a direct exchange named "" in AMQP
> 0-8 and 0-9-1. It sorta kinda permits delivering messages directly to
> queues, but I'd still recommend explicitly managing your own bindings
> rather than relying on this default binding behaviour.

I disagree with Tony here. But he knows that ;)

Relying on the default exchange bindings is perfectly fine. They are in
every 0-* AMQP spec and are widely supported by brokers. By contrast,
attempting to manage these bindings (i.e. bindings to the default
exchange) explicitly is prohibited by some versions of the spec and thus
not guaranteed to work.

Regards,

Matthias.