[rabbitmq-discuss] Bound Queues

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Wed Apr 14 12:00:37 BST 2010

Garrett,

Garrett Smith wrote:
> At the end of the day though, when messages pile up in a queue (just
> takes one), you'll run out of memory at some point.

You won't run out of memory with the new persister, which has been a top
development priority for some time. Sorry it's taking so long to get
that into an official release.

But even with memory consumption no longer being an issue it may still
be desirable to drop messages at some point. Hence ...

> Without support for ttl/expires, Rabbit is particularly susceptible to
> this "problem". I realize this it's by design

ttl/expires are on the todo list. They are not missing "by design".

> from my point of view, this is a topic (general problem) that should
> get a bump in road map priority.

Ack. FWIW, you could implement a crude ttl/expires logic purely as an
AMQP client that periodically fetches all messages from a queue and acks
all those that have expired. Obviously that is far less efficient than
what could be done inside the broker. Plus it affects message order. But
it's probably good enough for a whole bunch of use cases.

Regards,

Matthias.