[rabbitmq-discuss] Bound Queues

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Tue Apr 13 06:25:14 BST 2010

Dan,

Tony Garnock-Jones wrote:
> Dan Di Spaltro wrote:
>> Is there anyway you can specify a memory/disk/length limit to a queue
>> size with the action being a similar to a fixed window? [...]
>
> It's not exactly on the roadmap, but it's something we've considered before.
> There are some questions that need careful thought though [...]

One particular tricky issue is sharing. AMQP message may get delivered
to 0, 1 or *several* queues. RabbitMQ generally only keeps *one* copy of
a message, regardless of how many queues it ends up in. So queues end up
sharing messages. And some data can even be shared *between* messages.

Hence there really is no such thing as a per-queue memory/disk footprint.

Furthermore, there is no way to determine the memory footprint of a
message precisely due to memory fragmentation, gc, etc.

Regards,

Matthias.