[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ with Socket Server

Alex Gentle alexgentle at sify.com
Fri Sep 18 01:40:15 BST 2009

>You need to declare an exchange (of type direct, fanout or topic)

>which acts as the mailbox for sending the message.

Thank you for taking time to answer my questions.

>Once you have parsed the message from socket server and determined it >should go to rabbit, you publish the message to it.

I don’t know Ruby. I wrote a PHP program that parse the message from
socket server and pass the message to RabbitMQ server. When
the message comes back from RabbitMQ, I format it and send to socket
server that forwards the message to iPhone.

The catch here is the performance. iPhone needs to query for the
message in the queue every few seconds. Let us assume
that User A and User B chats thru iPhone application. User A sends the
message to RabbitMQ.

User A -> Socket Server -> RabbitMQ Server

RabbitMQ has no way of sending the notification to User B that some
message is waiting for him.

User B needs to check the RabbitMQ server every 5 seconds to see if
there is any message in his queue.

Imagine there are 10,000 users like user A and B. All of them will be
sending the message thru socket server to RabbitMQ server. Socket
server can handle all the traffic. It’s a piece of cake for RabbitMQ
to handle the traffic. But, the poor PHP program in the middle
(between socket server and RabbitMQ) can’t handle all the incoming and
outgoing requests with ease. It’s going to slow down the process.
Users will see substantial delay in sending and receiving messages.

Is there a better way to do it? Thanks.