[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ with Socket Server

Alex Gentle alexgentle at sify.com
Thu Sep 10 20:52:49 BST 2009

I have the following situation. I am thinking of using RabbitMQ for chat
inside my iPhone application. iPhone application is connected to the server
thru socket server. The socket server passes the information from iPhone to
the server and vice versa. I am not sure how could I make this communication
path works – iPhone -> Socket Server -> RabbitMQ server.  I understand that
I can connect the client directly to RabbitMQ server using client library
you provided. I am not sure how could I pass the message thru socket
server.  Socket server basically accepts the incoming message from iPhone
and route the message to appropriate server based on header information in
the incoming message. It does the same thing when a server wants to
communicate to the client thru socket server. Socket server accepts only
binary data.  Is it a overkill to use RabbitMQ for this purpose? If I use
XMPP like ejabbberd, I would still have the same issue of routing the
message thru socket server.  Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!