[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmqctl and performance issues

Matthew Sackman matthew at lshift.net
Thu Oct 29 22:40:25 GMT 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 02:52:45PM -0700, Jon Bardin wrote:
> Has anyone run into any problems "rapid firing" rabbitmqctl to get queue
> information?

Yes, don't do this. Queues are inspected using high priority msgs.
Firing too many of these in can degrade performance of Rabbit and
actually lead to higher memory usage because all queues have to respond
to the list_queues command, which prevents idle queues from hibernating,
which would free up resources.

That said I can't think of any immediate solutions to your problem -
maybe if you told us a little more about what you were trying to do,
we'd be able to propose a different solution.

Matthew