[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq clustering

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Mon Oct 19 13:10:54 BST 2009

Suhail,

Suhail Doshi wrote:
> One that was unclear to me in the clustering documentation is how you
> setup consumers to work with clusters or if there even is any setup?
>
> Does the consumer need to be aware of all the nodes in a cluster?

Logically/functionally, clients just need to be aware of *one* cluster
node. But if you want to balance load then you either need to stick a
load balancer in front of rabbitmq or make the clients aware of all nodes.

> If not does the consumer just need to be hooked up to the node that
> the other nodes are clustered around and things are automatically
> load balanced?

As noted above, there is no automatic load balancing.

Well, actually there is some very crude load balancing going on atm,
with the server redirecting clients to the least loaded node, but a) I
don't whether the AMQP python lib supports that, and b) that
functionality will disappear when we move to AMQP 0-9-1.

Regards,

Matthias.