[rabbitmq-discuss] Async Python AMQP client lib

Kyle Schaffrick kyle at raidi.us
Mon Oct 12 15:46:27 BST 2009

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 21:42:18 -0500
Sébastien <arnaudsj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to using RabbitMQ and would like to know if the py-amqplib
> has a branch available with non-blocking sockets for async style
> amqp consumers & producers. I did see some code was shared about a
> year ago:
> http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/2008-March/000550.html ,
> but I can't seem to see it integrated in the current source available
> in the mercurial repository.
>
> I have looked at tx-amqplib, but I don't like the heavy dependencies
> on twisted, zope, etc...

I'm also working on an asynchronous/non-blocking AMQP library for
Python, built on Eventlet.

  http://bitbucket.org/edarc/amqpev

Have a look at the examples on the BB Wiki page to get a feel for the
style of the API.

It is alpha quality at the moment, still missing a feature or two, and
unfortunately I'm not aware of anyone else who has tried it yet. If
you're in the immediate need for something production ready, stick to
txAMQP.

As an aside, I would advise anyone considering Twisted to also have a
look at Eventlet, if only to compare two very different ways of looking
at event-driven problems. Only trouble with Eventlet is a practical one:
it simply cannot compete right now with Twisted's huge library of
implemented protocols.

> Thank you in advance for your advice!
>
> Cheers!
>
> Sébastien Arnaud