[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbit disk_mode branch eating up all RAM, including swap, dying

Brian Whitman brian at echonest.com
Fri Oct 9 21:07:51 BST 2009

Hi Matthew, all, I had a couple people here test out this new branch vs. our
old branch on a local VM.  One thing we didn't know is that our messages
were relatively big -- 10KB each (I thought they were always much smaller.)
They report:
On a virtual machine with 1.5GB ram, we saw the following behaviour:

latest stable erlang + rabbitmq (20980) died once, and another time became
unresponsive, both times just before it hit ~2M messages (9KB each). CPU was
pegged around 90 %, and swap grew to almost 5GB.

latest stable erlang + rabbitmq (21444) never died, even with 3.5M+
messages. CPU was 90 %, and swap never grew past ~1.7GB.

We're going to upgrade to 21444 on our host and see how it goes.

Thanks
Brian