[rabbitmq-discuss] Return of 'getting started, broker runs; can't get status'

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Wed Oct 7 14:07:25 BST 2009

J Aaron Farr wrote:
> I suppose I could just use the dev server instance, but would someday
> really like to know why I can't get this to run on my OS X laptop.

It is an epmd issue, I think. Epmd interacts badly with the way OS X
changes its hostname depending on available network connections. I've
had enormous intermittent trouble getting Erlang's shortname-based
distribution mechanism to work consistently on OS X machines with wifi
enabled, for instance.

One workaround seems to be, for a machine named "gandalf", to add

127.0.0.1	gandalf gandalf.local

... to your /etc/hosts file and restart epmd. It's a total cludge, but
gets results. It *might* adversely affect other things, but so far I
haven't noticed any problems.

Regards,
  Tony
--
 [][][] Tony Garnock-Jones     | Mob: +44 (0)7905 974 211
   [][] LShift Ltd             | Tel: +44 (0)20 7729 7060
 []  [] http://www.lshift.net/ | Email: tonyg at lshift.net