[rabbitmq-discuss] Debug strategy for truncated message bodies

Garrett Smith g at rre.tt
Sat Nov 14 02:01:00 GMT 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Tony Garnock-Jones <tonyg at lshift.net> wrote:
> Hi Garrett,
>
> Garrett Smith wrote:
>> My first inclination is just to use tcpdump to figure out what's going
>> on, but perhaps there's a more straight forward approach for debugging
>> this, or any obvious known issues that would explain the truncation.
>
> No obvious known issues, not to me at least; tcpdump or the RabbitMQ
> Tracer (java CLI app, com.rabbitmq.tools.Tracer) would be good starts.
> Also interesting would be to try a dummy consumer in Java to see if it's
> on the inbound (to RabbitMQ) leg or on the outbound leg that the
> truncation is appearing.

Thanks Tony.

Just to followup on this...

The problem lies with the qpid Python client, which (apparently) only
reads one frame when reading a message body. The ~128K message body
that's truncated represents one frame -- subsequent frames are
dropped.

I've opened a ticket on jira.

As a possible work around (hack), is there a straight forward way to
have rabbit send the entire message body in a single frame?

Garrett