[rabbitmq-discuss] DNS Issues / Error: cannot_get_pid

Matthew Sackman matthew at lshift.net
Tue Nov 10 14:45:05 GMT 2009

Michael,

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 01:47:38PM +0100, Michael Elsdörfer wrote:
> I wonder if there is another solution (I couldn't find one in the thread
> above). Can't I tell rabbitmq to just bind to loopback? It's really only
> supposed to run locally.

Indeed. In your /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.conf, add the line:

NODENAME=rabbit at localhost

This will force Erlang to not look at your hostname when trying to
determine its node name, and instead will use localhost. Note though
that this means the *Erlang node* is not contactable via a different
machine (i.e. you couldn't use rabbitmqctl from a different machine, or
do clustering). Also node it does not stop *Rabbit* from listening on
public interfaces. If you want to make sure Rabbit only listens to
127.0.0.1 then add a further line to your rabbitmq.conf:

NODE_IP_ADDRESS=127.0.0.1

I hope that's of help.

Matthew