[rabbitmq-discuss] a possibility of AMQP/RabbitMQ extension?

Alexis Richardson alexis.richardson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 10:28:18 GMT 2009

Igor,

Several people have asked about browsing queues, and being able to
read or extract selected messages out of order.

It's an interesting feature because it represents a different way of
thinking about messaging queues: as containers for resources, instead
of as streams of values.  It's not obvious whether this difference is
always fundamental.

As you can see from Paul's post below, our current implementation,
which follows the spirit of AMQP as well as the letter, forces you to
take a streams based view.  This leads to a number of contortions if
you want to reach into the middle of the stream without disrupting
other consumers.

If you have any thoughts on this let us know.

Re your other question about 'modifying AMQP proto': I think the
safest approach is to say a bit more about what you would like to do,
on this list.  We can advise.  I would not want to discourage anyone
from messing with the code or the innards of AMQP... but it's 'at your
own risk' ;-)

alexis