[rabbitmq-discuss] best practice for EC2 deployment?

Ben Hyde bhyde at pobox.com
Thu May 21 18:10:42 BST 2009

On May 20, 2009, at 4:09 PM, Dmitriy Samovskiy wrote:
> Hi Geir,
>
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> I'm about to create a rabbitMQ cluster on EC2.

I'm cutting out much useful advice, all of which I agree with.  I
agree with this too:

> 5. I would also consider if you need clustering in the first place.
> Since queues
> themselves are currently not replicated...

I'm curious if people have a scheme in mind?

My preference, from real time control systems I've built, is to murder
key components randomly to assure that recover is not an exceptional
event.

But so far I've not managed that here.  I have a plan, a lousy plan.
Something like a hot standby.

My two last go at this involved having my own name servers (tinydns,
etc.) running with short times to live.  When hare.example.com goes
missing a hot standby would leap into action; it would notify the name
server that it was taking over; spin up rabbitmq; etc. etc.   But this
handoff looks amazingly slow compared to the latency in the message
flow.  I assume time to live and the mnesia startup are the hard bit.
You can switch amazon elastic ip reasonably quickly, to work around
the DNS time out.  I suspect there is some clever things to be done to
improve maintenance of a mnesia in service of hot standby.