[rabbitmq-discuss] Multicasting

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Tue May 5 09:54:52 BST 2009

Bradford,

bradford cross wrote:
> My requirement is to have two parallel (forked, or whatever) queues, one
> of which the regular production process listens to, and one of which a
> backup process listens to.
>
> Rabbitmq seems to call this sort of thing one-to-many broadcasting and
> multicast.  There is not a lot of documentation about it, just a blurb
> here <http://www.rabbitmq.com/faq.html#scenarios> and then the code here
> ->
> rabbitmq-java-client-1.5.4/test/src/com/rabbitmq/examples/MulticastMain.java

You may want to read
   http://blogs.digitar.com/jjww/2009/01/rabbits-and-warrens/
which is linked to from
   http://www.rabbitmq.com/how.html

Briefly, to get a message sent to multiple queues, bind those queues to
an exchange using binding keys that match the message's routing key.

Btw, MulticastMain is a fairly universal test program, so it's not
exactly a concise example of performing simple multicast routing.

Regards,

Matthias.