[rabbitmq-discuss] Fwd: rabbit MQ high-through put stock quotes

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Mon Jun 22 17:27:03 BST 2009

Hi Chuck,

Chuck Remes wrote:
>> With that out of the way, I would suggest a fanout exchange per
>> high-volume symbol. [...]
>> Alternately, you could use a direct exchange for the low-volume
>> stocks.

RabbitMQ should be about as fast with direct as with fanout exchanges.

To find a list of matching queues for a publish to a fanout exchange, it
searches a mnesia table indexed by exchange name, and for direct
exchanges, it searches a table indexed by the pair of (exchange name,
routing key) -- in both cases it's effectively a simple "dictionary"
lookup resulting in a list of queue names.

The implementation of topic exchanges is quite different (and quite a
bit slower!), but broadly speaking, direct and fanout exchanges should
be en par with each other, performance-wise.

Regards,
  Tony
--
 [][][] Tony Garnock-Jones     | Mob: +44 (0)7905 974 211
   [][] LShift Ltd             | Tel: +44 (0)20 7729 7060
 []  [] http://www.lshift.net/ | Email: tonyg at lshift.net