[rabbitmq-discuss] 0-9-1 Coming Soon (Was: Roadmap Questions)

celldee celldee at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 02:39:57 BST 2009

Alexis,

On Jun 4, 1:49 pm, Alexis Richardson <alexis.richard... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just to add some colour to what Matthias said below, here are some
> comments about backwards compatibility, and about AMQP spec versions.
>
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Matthias Radestock <matth... at lshift.net> wrote:
> >> 3) Clean compatibility with OpenAMQ's C library (aka WireAPI?) -- or
> >> clean compatibility with *some* type of C-based library that is
> >> compatible with a recent version of RabbitMQ (maybe:
> >>http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-c/?)
>
> > #3 hasn't been asked for much, so it's currently a low priority task.
> > Having said that, any feedback on the experimental rabbitmq-c client is
> > of course welcome. Also, we are aiming for compatibility with OpenAMQ
> > when RabbitMQ implements AMQP 0-9-1.
>
> The key point here is that we are converging on AMQP 0-9-1 and this
> will mean a much greater degree of interoperability.  The aim is for
> clients and brokers to work together out of the box, no matter who
> made them.  In practice some edge cases won't work, and some code will
> implement a subset of 0-9-1, but we have convinced ourselves that this
> is going to make everyone's lives much easier and lead to greater
> choice for users.
>
> 0-9-1 is coming very soon now (I'm avoiding dates for the usual
> reasons...).  You may be able to help it come sooner.
>
> Calling everyone - PLEASE do step up here.  We are looking for people
> to help with 0-9-1 especially interop testing, and client migration.
> Speak out on the list or contact me if for some reason you cannot do
> the former.
>
> >> Can someone let me know if any of these features will be backported to
> >> a future v1.5.x release?
>
> > I do not anticipate any more v1.5.x releases, and if there are any they
> > will be for low-risk/high-impact bug fixes only.
>
> To add to Matthias' comment: people in the community are of course
> extremely welcome to help out here.  Obviously we can only do so much
> and want to focus on the core features people are asking for.  We are
> of course happy to help people out on the list.  If you want some
> level of support that the list cannot give, let us know.
>
> In the case of 0-9-1 some people will migrate and some people will
> stay on 0-8.  Looking for feedback here: what do people want to do
> about 0-9-1 migration vs staying on older versions?

I'm currently looking at enabling the Bunny Ruby AMQP client to use
either 0-8 or 0-9-1 depending on a user supplied option. I've started
to do some interop testing against Qpid 0.5 with a view to tackling
OpenAMQ later. I would be happy to help out if I can.

Is there a version of RabbitMQ that I can test 0-9-1 functionality
against. I have v1.6.0, can I use that? I've tried but can't get a
connection/channel going. Not sure if I'm sending the correct
information to initiate a communication session.

Regards,

Chris