[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ stomp-adapter behaviour

majek04 majek04 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 13:29:10 BST 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 03:40, Nicolas Echaniz<nico at rakar.com> wrote:
> I found out that this was the RabbitMQ interpretation of how the broker should
> behave by reading some docs in your site[3] and a thread in your mailing
> list[4].
>
> This lead me to re-read the STOMP Protocol spec[6] and judjing from the
> different clients code I've looked at it looks like everyone else's
> understanding of this paragraph:
>
> ... is that if a client has subscribed to a destination, then it should
> receive every message that is sent to that destination - what you call
> "broadcast" behaviour in your docs.
>
> So now I'm writing here because it seems to me rather odd that every STOMP
> client code should be modified to be able to send extra-headers to RabbitMQ
> when they seem to be correctly implementing their STOMP Clients according to
> the spec.

As far as I understand, rabbit-stomp gateway implements
a subset of AMQP features - but over a STOMP protocol.

For example a STOMP 'destination' is treated as an AMQP 'queue',
but this abstractions represent slightly different thing.

As Matthias pointed out, STOMP spec doesn't give much information
of what the defaults should be. The problem is that even if changing
the defaults is easy, we must take care of all the other use cases.

Right now the default behavior is sane from the AMQP
point of view. Later you can get any kind of behavior you want
by playing with the extra parameters.

Marek Majkowski