[rabbitmq-discuss] conceptual question

Alexis Richardson alexis.richardson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 16:06:50 BST 2009

Joel

I am not sure if this answers your question but the way RabbitMQ works
is that each consumer gets messages from a queue and each queue is
bound to one node (to which the consumer is connected).  In a cluster
the exchanges' routing tables are replicated across all nodes.  So
when a message arrives a some node in the cluster it will get routed
to any queues that need to see it, whatever node they are on.  In
other words each message makes at most one hop between nodes.

You ask:

> Are subscriptions kept per
> node such that a message going out is first sent to individual nodes
> and from there to this node's subscriber list?

I think the answer is therefore: YES.

Please let me know if this does not make sense or if I have not
understood or answered your question.

alexis