[rabbitmq-discuss] Installation help

Michael Steinfeld mikeisgreat at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 22:38:45 GMT 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Matthias Radestock <matthias at lshift.net> wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Michael Steinfeld wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Matthias Radestock <matthias at lshift.net>
>> wrote:

>> Hmm, I installed it the same way.. on RHEL (from source)
>
> What do you mean by "the same way"? Matt's problems stem from combining a
> debian-packaged RabbitMQ with a manually installed Erlang. Presumably you
> didn't install the debian package on RHEL, but either chose the rpm or
> "generic unix" route.

I meant that I compiled erlang manually. I attempted the RPM install
but I was unsuccessful even though I had the shared libs installed.
I ended up using
"http://www.rabbitmq.com/releases/rabbitmq-server/v1.5.1/rabbitmq-server-1.5.1.tar.gz"
for whatever reason even though the server was running with the RPM
I couldn't get any of the tools to work everything was badrpc ... so I
just installed from source.

>> but I set ERLANG_HOME=/usr/local/lib/erlang/lib (you had
>> /usr/local/lib/erlang)
>
> That sounds wrong. However, none of the rabbit scripts depend on that
> setting directly.

Yeah it does, but I could've sworn that is what the docs said, I just
checked and they don't say that at all :) sorry for the consfusion. I
stand corrected.

>> also I just put the rabbit scripts in there as well and linked them to
>> /usr/local/bin/
>>
>> HTH.. it was a bit of a struggle for me as well.
>
> Sorry to hear it was a struggle. Is there something missing, wrong or
> unclear in our installation instructions at
> http://www.rabbitmq.com/install.html?

Well I don't know. Being that the server would run but none of the
tools worked, it would've been more helpful if there was reference to
this badrpc error. I had no idea where to look, although you guys were
helpful on the list, it didn't solve my issues. Like I said, I just
ending up installing from source and that seems to work fine.