[rabbitmq-discuss] Installation help

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Thu Jan 29 21:25:20 GMT 2009

Matt,

Matt Heitzenroder wrote:
> *Issue:*
> matt at c1203:~$ sudo rabbitmqctl status
> {"init terminating in
> do_boot",{undef,[{rabbit_control,start,[]},{init,start_it,1},{init,start_em,1}]}}
> init terminating in do_boot ()
> [...]
> I compiled erlang from source.
>
> I used the rabbitmq server 1.5.1 deb installation on an Ubuntu box.
>
> I added /sbin/rabbitmq-server from the VCS & made it executable.

Congratulations. This is the most exotic way of installing rabbit I have
yet encountered ;)

A manually installed Erlang distribution goes in a different place from
the Erlang debian package. The rabbitmq-server debian package installs
itself in the location of the latter, which ensures that it is found by
the various scripts. To resolve the above error, I suggest you create a
symlink to /usr/lib/erlang/lib/rabbitmq_server-<vsn> in
/usr/local/lib/erlang/lib.

And for starting/stopping the server you ought to use the script in
/etc/init.d. That will run rabbit as the 'rabbitmq' user, which is also
what /usr/sbin/rabbitmqctl expects.

Regards,

Matthias.