[rabbitmq-discuss] Erlang client handshake problem

Dave Bryson daveb at miceda.org
Wed Jan 28 00:13:04 GMT 2009

Ben,

Thanks for the response.  I've been racking my brain trying to figure
out what's going on:

As for versions of the client, I've tried:
-  latest snapshot erlang-client in the zip from the download link off
the rabbitmq website
-  and also tried the latest version from repo here: hg clone http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-erlang-client/

For servers, I tried:
  - the generic unix version of rabbitmq 1.5.1 from the tar on the
website
  - and also built it separately from the repository.

In all cases I continue to have the same problem:  the client doesn't
connect.  When I run "make test_network"  the basic_get_test() shows a
*time out* and the client just sits there... the same happens if I try
and use the api directly from the console via:

erl -pa ebin rabbitmq_server/ebin -boot start_sasl

 > C = amqp_connection:start("guest", "guest", "localhost").

If I look in the rabbit server logs I see:

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Jan-2009::10:31:48 ===
accepted TCP connection on 0.0.0.0:5672 from 127.0.0.1:65509

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Jan-2009::10:31:48 ===
starting TCP connection <0.167.0> from 127.0.0.1:65509

=ERROR REPORT==== 27-Jan-2009::10:31:58 ===
error on TCP connection <0.167.0> from 127.0.0.1:65509
{handshake_timeout,frame_header}

That's it, no erl dumps or any other error shows up on the client.

I tried a separate test against the server using a AMQP Ruby client
against the server and all worked without a problem.

My Environment:

- Mac OS X 10.5.6
- Erlang 12b-5

Any help is greatly appreciated!